Castmates Celebrate in Chadwick Boseman in Netflix special ‘Portrait of an Artist’
Netflix is giving Chadwick Boseman the documentary special treatment this month with the surprise release of “Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist” billed as an “intimate look” at the late actor with interviews from some of his closest Hollywood collaborators. The special debuts this weekend but will only be streaming for a limited 30-day window.
The official synopsis from Netflix for the special reads: “‘Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist’ is an intimate look at the Oscar-nominated actor’s incomparable artistry, and the acting process which informed his transformative performances. Viola Davis, Denzel Washington, Spike Lee, George C. Wolfe, Branford Marsalis, Phylicia Rashad and more take us behind the scenes to explore Boseman’s extraordinary commitment to his craft.”
Netflix will honour Chadwick Boseman in an upcoming special, Portrait of an Artist.
Set to debut with the help of friends and collaborators including Viola Davis, Denzel Washington, Spike Lee and Danai Gurira.
“You know you have to step up when you’re in his presence,” Davis, who starred alongside Boseman in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, says in the newly released trailer below. “He’s looking at your work and he’s really hyper focused, on the craft, on the process. That’s Chad.”
Boseman died on August 28th, due to complications from colon cancer after a private battle spanning four years. The artist continued to work while undergoing chemotherapy and having surgeries, completing films like Black Panther and Da 5 Bloods without disclosing his condition to collaborators.
“I’m Chadwick Boseman. I’m an artist,” he says of himself in the trailer. “People call me an actor. I wouldn’t necessarily call myself an actor. I would call myself an artist.”
Others participating in the special include Brian Helgeland, Reginald Hudlin, Aakomon “AJ” Jones, Woodie King Jr., Branford Marsalis, Andile Nebulane, Taylour Paige, Phylicia Rashad, Tate Taylor, Glynn Turman, and George C. Wolfe.
Boseman is nominated for Best Actor at the the 2021 Oscars for his role in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, and is heavily favoured to win.
Portrait of an Artist will premiere on Netflix on April 17 at 3 a.m. ET/midnight PT, and will only be available for a limited 30-day window.
The full list of participants featured in “Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist” include:
- Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” Co-star)
- Danai Gurira (“Black Panther” Co-star)
- Brian Helgeland (“42” Director)
- Reginald Hudlin (“Marshall” Director)
- Aakomon “AJ” Jones (“Get On Up”/”Black Panther” Choreographer)
- Woodie King Jr. (New Federal Theater Director)
- Spike Lee (“Da 5 Bloods” Director)
- Branford Marsalis (Composer, Arranger, Music Producer “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
- Andile Nebulane (Actor & “Black Panther” Dialect Coach)
- Taylour Paige (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” Co-star)
- Phylicia Rashad (Howard University Professor & Actor, Director, Producer)
- Tate Taylor (“Get On Up” Director)
- Glynn Turman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” Co-star)
- George C. Wolfe (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” Director)