Mike Tyson & Evander Holyfield Confirmed Rematch – Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 is happening in May. Hours after Evander Holyfield’s camp claimed Mike Tyson and his team wanted too much money from a potential fight. Now it appears the sides have come to a resolution. Tuesday evening, Tyson confirmed on an Instagram Live stream the fight will take place on May 29th. TMZ reports the fight will take place on the last Saturday of May at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami.
The two have fought twice previously — including the infamous “Bite Fight” — and Holyfield has bested Tyson in both bouts.
“I just want everybody to know the fight’s on with me & Holyfield,” Tyson said during a live stream with Haute Living. “Holyfield’s a humble man I know that and he’s a man of God, but I’m God’s man. Listen, I’m going to be successful May 29.”
Yesterday, Holyfield’s manager Kris Lawrence told TMZ on Monday the fight would not be happening. According to Lawrence, Tyson and his team were seeking a reported $25 million payday. At the time, he said the two fighters previously agreed to a 50/50 split of any revenues associated with the fight.
“Team Holyfield sincerely believed a deal was imminent, especially after the Hard Rock threw its support behind the project. There were multiple other offers conveyed to Team Tyson,” Lawerence and Holyfield’s team said in a statement. “However, Team Tyson’s demands recently became untenable, and not what Mike Tyson had originally agreed on in direct conversations with Holyfield.”
Mike Tyson & Evander Holyfield
Last November, Tyson returned to the ring in support of a new promotion — Mike Tyson’s Legends Only League. At the time, Tyson planned to support legendary athletes across all sports by hosting special one-time events. Tyson took on boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. in an exhibition bout that ended in a draw.
Despite the draw, the Tyson/Jones fight was well-received by fans, on its way to becoming 2020’s largest pay-per-view event. The entire card reportedly made around $80 million in pay-per-view sales.
After some back-and-forth; to which Evander Holyfield team allegedly pulled out of negotiations 24 hours ago. Mike Tyson, has confirmed that the fight is happening. Appearing on Instagram live with Haute Living, Tyson confirmed saying, “I just want everybody to know the fight is on with me and Holyfield. Holyfield’s a humble man I know that and he’s a man of God, but I’m God’s man. Listen, I’m going to be successful May 29.”
Originally, the exhibition match was canceled as it was reported that Tyson’s camp was asking for $25 million USD. Plus other “demands” that became “untenable” which ultimately led to the falling apart of the promotion. Whatever changed in the deal has not yet been made public but boxing fans are excited about this trilogy match. The last time these two competed against each other was in the rematch of 1997. Often referred to as “The Bite Fight.” Tyson ended up biting a piece off of Holyfield’s ear during a clinch.
Tyson, at 54 years of age, last fought in November against Roy Jones Jr. while the 58-year-old Evander Holyfield’s last professional fight was in 2011. This fight is expected to take place on May 29 at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami.